[TowerTalk] Antenna Installation and Progress

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Installation and Progress
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 15:02:15 -0500
Well, my tower crew has just been given the order to replace all steel guy
cabling on my 180' tower with non-metallic Phillystran.  I decided to make
this one structural change in the hope that I will never have to worry about
the effect of guy cabling on the four 160-meter patterns.

I've spent the better part of the day zeroing in on what I want for the
upper bands.  Whatever I end up with will be mounted on a 20' or 24' 4130
Chromoly mast at the top.  I have narrowed the decision to the following
possibilities:

1) As indicated earlier this week, I was giving strong consideration to the
Force 12 C-4XL (40M-10M) on a 30' boom.

2) A Force 12 C3 together with a Force 12 EF-240X

3) A Force 12 C3 with a Cushcraft XM240

After reviewing the KA9FOX's archives, the potential interective effects of
choices 2 and 3, are leading me to believe the C-4XL is the most predictable
alternative.  The 40-meter monoband performance of the other two is better
by approximately 1dB.  What is a recommended stacking distance for options 2
and 3?

A few more questions:

Assuming options 2 or 3 at 180+ feet, is there much difference in
performance or interactivity if the tribander is placed on top or below the
40M antenna?

Cushcraft specs a F/B ratio of 20-25 dB on its XM240.  For a two-element
Yagi, are they stretching the truth a bit?  F/B on the C-4XL and EF-240X is
rated at 15 dB.

In reviewing the various rotator possibilities, I would like to "damn the
torpedoes" with a Yaesu G-2800SDX.  Can I go wrong with this combination of
mast, antennas, and rotator?

-Paul, W9AC