[TowerTalk] Corroded connectors !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Corroded connectors !
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:34:44 -0600
I Thought, having simply looked at the Amphenol's  that the most common were
nickel plated with a phenelic (?) insulator.  The better grade had silver
plating same insulator.  Word passed around that the insulator was a problem
and to try to find something better.  For a while I managed to get some with
a blue insulator and then with Teflon.  These hamfest specials have the
right looks, but may be in fact, cheap white plastic insulators and unknown
quality metals.  My current batch of hamfest specials are stamped USA on
them.  Not only did the threads on the barrel have white powder but so does
the inside of this SO239 where the gold plated pin was.  But only on this
one N to SO239 adapter, which I have used for years.  This happened in a dry
basement in three days.  I have been checking other connections and have
found no problem.  This is weird.

Thanks for comments.
73
Greg K9ZM