[TowerTalk] Re:

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:
From: n7ml@imt.net (Mike Lamb)
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:32:15 +0000
Interesting Dick.  I guess I will take this time to tell a true story about
one of my experiences about 15 years ago when AEA was a young and upcoming
company.

We developed a "software/firmware" product called MBA-TOR that gave you Morse,
Baudot, ASCII, and AMTOR when used with our CP-1 Computer Patch.  It was two
EPROMS  on a small PCB that plugged into the game port of a Commodore 64
computer.  I believe it sold for $49.95 at the time and it came with a manual.

I started getting reports of one pirate that actually set up shop outside one
of our dealers in a major city every Saturday morning and sold a poorly done
copy of the PCB along with the copied EPROMs and a photocopy of our own
manual, copyrights and all!!!  He was selling them for $17.95 if I recall
correctly and was telling anyone that would listen that AEA was ripping them
off as evidenced by the big price discrepancy.  I had several customers tell
me the story and I could tell that they really wanted to hear my response to
the pirate's charge.  I simply told them that I would also be able to sell the
product for $17.95 if someone else would do all the product definition,
initial design, beta testing, de-bugging, manual writing, advertising, trade
shows, seminars, arranging for magazine new product reviews, provide for
dealer profits and customer support!!

Fortunately, that pirate did not branch out across the country, but apparently
he was only one of several doing something similar and I do know that it did
cut into our profits over the years.  What is so disappointing is that there
are so many hams that supported this activity.

It is extremely expensive to support a piece of software and to make sure it
is as bug-free as possible whenever it is offered for sale. Knowing that
pirates are circumventing the honest income that a company is deserving of is
very discouraging as evidenced by Brian's decision.

73/Mike, N7ML