!Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower "MA" Series Tubular Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: !Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower "MA" Series Tubular Towers
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 06:32:58 -1000

It has beem written:

>They are rated at 50 mph for their wind loads.
>
>I personally do not recommend their use. I wish they would redesign
>them for realistic wind districts and antennas.

My MA-550 has been up since the Spring of 1992.  During that
time it has survived Hurricane Iniki - top winds 180+ mph- during
which it vibrated like crazy!  I had it cranked all the way down,  around
23 feet;  the 4 element quad with 30 foot boom was totally destroyed
by the winds,  but the 550 just vibrated (in concrete, 2 yards or same,
6 foot deep hole by 3 foot square..

We are now going through very gusty gale force winds -- to 50+
nearly every hour out here.  My QTH is in a very wind vulnerable
spot on  the island.  The winds began a few days ago,  and
are forecast to continue another week.  My 550 is up about
45 feet now,  and is carrying a C4 and a 33 foot tall aluminum
tube whip on top!

The entire affair perhaps sways a couple feet at the top of the 550,
but all is just fine.  When the wind is really strong,  the Tailtwister
rotor refuses to turn the beam,  I guess because the force on
the C4 is too great from the wind.  So I just wait for the gust to
pass,  then turn the beam,  hi.

The MA 550 seems to survive just fine.  Should the winds go much
tropical storm level 55-60mph,  I lower the tower.

73,  Jim, KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai