[TowerTalk] Tri-Ex drawing update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex drawing update
From: w6rw@earthlink.net (Michael S. Mitchell, W6RW)
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:52:38 -0800
Jim JJ Johnson (HPL) wrote:

> Hello again,
>    I talked to Vicky at Tri-Ex (she answered the phone) and I never got
> any farther
> than her.  Dave Jordan (earlier reply post) suggested talking to Glenn
> Birdsell and
> after reading his name again it jogged my memory.  I talked to Glenn in
> the fall of
> last year and he was extremely cooperative.  He sent me two Tri-Ex
> instruction
> manuals at no charge.  One covered the MW series of towers and had two
> drawings
> pertaining to the MW-50, but not sufficient for building permit
> purposes.  So I thought
> it would be easy to continue from there and get the calcs and drawings
> .. until I called
> and got Vicky.  So now I have left a message with Glenn and expect a
> call back today.
> Thanks for everyone's input - this is getting interesting.  I'll post
> again when I have more
> information.
>
> 73,
> Jim W6SC
>
> --
>
> Jim Johnson
> Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
> Palo Alto, CA
> jjohnson@hpl.hp.com
>
> --

Hi Jim....I am experiencing a worse case from Tri-Ex than you
are.....last year, I purchased a base, a raising/tilt-over fixture
and 2 sets of "wet seal" engineering papers from Tri-Ex for an
LM354HD (which is a current production model). I spent somewhere in
the neighborhood of $1,000 at that time. I then began the process
of getting approval from my city. The engineering paperwork that
I purchased from Tri-Ex was based on wind exposure C (which my
city REQUIRES) pursuant to the 1994 UBC. The Planning department
signed off, the Engineering department signed off, the Fire department
signed off, but the Building & Safety Department in reviewing the
engineering paperwork discovered that when Tri-Ex changed their
engineering calculations from 1991 UBC to 1994 UBC that in
3 places it still says "1991" and one of the charts they are
using in the paperwork is from the 1991 UBC instead of the 1994
UBC and my city now wants new "wet seal" engineering paperwork that
says "1994" throughout.

On 12/17/98 I emailed a list of the City's concerns to Tri-Ex and
on 01/04/99 a emailed Tri-Ex again asking them to respond to me.
After no response, I phoned Tri-Ex on 01/07/99 and got the
famous "Vickie" on the phone. Last year, I dealt with Sherri
who was very pleasant. I asked for Sherri this time and I was
told that she no longer worked their, so I explained my situation
to Vickie.

Vickie told me that because I was dealing with a used tower that
I did not purchase from Tri-Ex that the only way that they would
redo the engineering paperwork would be for me to ship my tower
to Tri-Ex for them to examine all of the welds, etc, and that that
would probably cost more than a new tower.....I told her
that all I wanted them to do was to provide corrected engineering
paperwork that said "1994" throughout...that I had paid $50 per
set for 2 sets and that they had sold me incorrect stuff. She told
me that I could always mail the 2 sets of engineering paperwork
back to them for a $100 refund. Our conversation got very heated
and I finally realized that we were getting nowhere.

The next day (01/08/99) I called Vickie again and pleaded with her
to at least let me fax her the writeup from my city and have her have
one of their engineers look at it. I also asked her to ask the
engineer if they would redo the paperwork if I bought a new
tower from them. She said okay and I faxed the stuff to Tri-Ex.

I called Vickie yesterday (2/2/99) and asked if an engineer had
at least reviewed the stuff that I had faxed. She told me that
Tri-Ex was too busy with commercial towers to mess around with
amateur radio stuff...........

I am now looking for a U.S. Tower.....

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CUSTUMER SERVICE?????

I hope you have better luck than I have had with Tri-Ex...

73 es gud dx de Mike/W6RW