[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hh.tmx.com> (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:22:02 -0800 (PST)

        We, at N6IJ,  recently obtained a brand new, donated, climbing
belt, a Klein, or Bashlin, standard type, with composite construction
(leather and nylon webbing.)  There was an attached warning note to the
strap, that the strap was NOT to be used on belts having either: (1)  a
snap ring that is bent (by design) or (2)  a snap ring that has an outside
profile that is curved on the top or bottom.  Another of our belts has a
ring, that has a distinctive "S" shape built into it when looked at,
edge-on. This shape causes the rings to be angled  away from the user's body,
and make attachment of the strap easier. It is also curved on
the top and bottom.
(Apparently this older belt is not
compatible with the new strap.) The new belt that the strap  came with,
had a flat ring, (looking edge-on) that had straight outside profiles
(looking  perpendicular to plane of the ring) between the slot in the ring
that is the attachment point to the belt.. and the other, curved, end of
the ring, where one typically snaps the strap while in use.. There was
also a dimension given of the radius of the rings that are
compatible with the strap.  The strap does not have locking latches on the
hooks, (only heavy, spring loaded ones) and I suspect that
the warnings are to avoid unwanted (easily fatal by the way!) disconnects,
in the event the strap is twisted in such a way that the snap ring on the
belt can bear force against the spring loaded hook closures that are not
lockable, possibly pushing them open.  I think I see the reasoning, but
all should be aware that some non-compatible straps and climbing belt
combinations are not obvious even to close inspection. The warning tag on
the strap was not robust, and would probably fall off after a half
year's use.

        After seeing these new belts at N6IJ,  I watched Discovery
channel and a program about the climbing of Mt Everest through the years,
and shuddered when I saw the undone safety belt laying in the snow that
was used by the first woman on Everest.  She fell to her death when the
belt came undone from around her...apparently improperly buckled....and
SHE was a world class expert!

Remember....be careful out there....!

Any belt experts out there to comment?

73, DX, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;

aa6eg@hh.tmx.com

599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
"The Contest Station from the Government"