[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:26:33 EST
In a message dated 99-02-11 09:17:45 EST, shane@eatel.net writes:

> There IS much better equipment out there.  A good source for a wide range of
>  equipment suitable for tower work is
>
>  The California Mountain Company
>  CMC
>  1-800-235-5741
>  www.cmcrescue.com
>
>  or
>
>  The ROCO Corporation
>  1-800-647-7626
>  www.RocoRescue.com

         Not to pick on Shane but this is not good advice. I visited both of
these web sites and they sell really good OSHA compliant RESCUE equipment -
NOT tower climbing safety equipment. These and mountain climbing harnesses,
window washing harnesses (i.e. ONV Safety Belts), etc. are designed for a
specific function which is NOT tower work and they do not offer necessary
items such as waist D-rings for your positioning/work lanyard.

      I have covered this topic many times and a reprint of my 3-part series
on safety equipment from my "Up The Tower" colum in CQ Contest magazine is
available for a buck from Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

      Of course as a non-professional you can do anything you want. But the
LXC Prime Directive is still the main consideration: "DO what the manufacturer
says". In this case, it'd be the tower, antenna and safety equipment
manufacturers. What do you suppose they'd say? Why do you think OSHA is very
specific about their specifications and requirements?

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech