[TowerTalk] Alabama tower accident-update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alabama tower accident-update
From: K4ab@aol.com (K4ab@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:53:23 EST
These guys were putting up an approx. 300 foot AM broadcast tower in a rather
unique way, if you ask me.  In an effort to save time (I guess) they tried to
assemble the tower in (2) 150 foot sections using a crane.  They got the first
150 feet up, and with the poor fellow on top of this "section", were trying
the mount the top 150 feet with a crane when  something caused the bottom
"section" to buckle.  The worker rode it down to the roof of the station,
about a 90-100' drop. DOA.

OSHA is investigating...I don't think this method of installation is approved.
Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

-Larry K4AB