[TowerTalk] Re: [AMPS] Trade roller(s) for roller

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [AMPS] Trade roller(s) for roller
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:47:30 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:15:29 +0000 (GMT)

There is some misconception about tuner power ratings. Someone
really needs to step forward and establish a power rating system
that means something.

So far as I am aware, Ameritron is the ONLY company that rates their
tuner at RF carrier power on 160 meters through ten meters over a
specific range of load impedances.

All other tuners use an obsolete power rating that reflects a time
when 2 kW amps were only designed to operate at 600 watts
CW output, and 1200 watts PEP output, and they almost always
reflect "best case" conditions.

The ATR-30 roller Q is almost twice that of the nearest power
handling tuner, even though that tuner is twice the price, not
power rated, and comes without a metering system or balun.

The ATR-30 doesn't need forced air, even at more than 4 kW carrier
power on 160. It doesn't even need vent holes, or an ice pack.

Unlike the 4 kW tuner, it won't melt down at it's power rating on
any band.

> Also, whilst we're into Delrin-bashing, on the selfsame website, have
> a look at http://www.palstarinc.com/ri28.htm. Seems MFJ not the only
> one to be using Delrin. Is there more than one kind of Delrin?

Palstar (and the previous names Palstar's owner  operated under, like
Vectronics and Viewstar) use the same components as the old  MFJ
tuners. Actually some of their tuners, rated at the same power,
used even smaller components than MFJ.

The Delrin core roller is manufactured by Oren Elliot Products and
very widely distributed. It was used by everyone from Amp Supply to
Vectronics.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com