[TowerTalk] A sense of the group?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A sense of the group?
From: jlangdon@outer.net (John Langdon)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 08:22:36 -0600
I eliminated the LP's early on because I wanted to be competitive in
pileups.  I know there are lots of anecdotes about how "my LP blew away old
Joe's Contester's 4 element mono band yagi", but that is the exception that
proves the rule.  The thought of low SWR all over is comforting.  But IMHO.
on average the LP's will be at least 2-3 dB down from a good triband or
mono band installation..

I think you will find that a WARC-7 "tri-bander" will do all you need on
30M and cover 12 and 17 fine too, with little wind load, leaving you
capacity for larger antennas for other bands.  I have a full size 30 I
never put up because the little WARC-7 does everything I need.

I ended up with stacked tri-banders as the biggest bang for the buck and
wind load.  Using C3 + C4XL gives you pretty good 40M coverage along with
good stack gain on 20-15-10. My leading but still second place choice  was
to do C31XR stacks. Should be wonderful performance but more wind load
issues, such that I would then have had to do 40 and 80 on another tower.
Single tower was better choice overall for me.

Good luck and get it up before the sunspot cycle peaks!

73 John N5CQ