[TowerTalk] Omega

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Omega
From: GRickley@aol.com (GRickley@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:33:32 EST
ttians;
Omega is just a radio based long range navigation system, used for many
purposes. The 727s and L1011s flown by my airline routinely used it up until 2
years ago. I used it flying 727s in Europe up through Russia and the eastern
block countries where there were insufficient VOR stations for adequate
navigation. It (the omega facilities) was simply not worth maintaining given
the advent of triple inertial reference units coupled with GPS found in most
of the current generation of 'glass cockpit' aircraft.
73, George K1MA