[TowerTalk] Advice on proposed tower/antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice on proposed tower/antenna
From: dlleikis@deseretonline.com (David Leikis)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:29:43 -0700
Hello,

I am working on erecting a tower this spring, (springtime is better to
dig in the ground in Utah than winters) and would like some advice on my
choices that I have made so far.  This is my first installation for
myself.

I bought a used Mosley Pro67B and because of some pretty high winds in
this mountain valley, have chosen a heavy duty crankup tower( Tri-Ex
LM-354HD).  My questions are these:

1. What is a good location/price to get more anti-oxidant for the
aluminum tubes that have been in the weather for a few years?

2. What are some recommendations for feedline? (power < 300 W, also
mounting a VHF yagi and a VHF omni above the Mosley).

3. I have a rotor that came with the antenna and I will try to get it's
model number, but based upon the fact that I will lower it during
storms, do I need to get a heavy-duty one of these?

4. The tower choice is because of neighbor concerns and also to get it
out of some of the wind.  We had a storm here last week that ripped barn
roofs off!  Is this one a pain to operate?  I financially can't get a
motorized version.  Can this model be retrofitted later with
wiring/switches/motor?

5. Can you get the winches/motors from another supplier instead of
paying $800-900 from the tower maker?

6. Do I need to make provisions to tie-down the beam during high wind
conditions?

These ought to be more than enough for now.  Thanks in advance to anyone
who may take the time to respond.

Dave KG7EW