[TowerTalk] Receiver Preamps (Was sad precedent)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Receiver Preamps (Was sad precedent)
From: n2tk@idsi.net (Tony Kazmakites)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:40:16 -0500
Hi Lyn, I am using an Ameco PCL-P nuvistor preamp. It works fine.

I also have a Palomar P-310X preamp. Not very happy with it. Lots of noise
gain, but not as much signal gain. I replaced the fet with a SK3050 and
added a ferrite bead to the input gate lead. That helped a lot. Now it's
almost as quiet as the Ameco on 40-160m. On 10m it is useless. The noise
goes up, but not much happens to the signal. Looking for input on how to
mnake it useable on 10m.

I also modified an MFJ-1046 preselector by adding an ARR P1-30/20VD preamp.
Works fine on all the bands. Would like to have a little more gain for my
ewe antennas though. Also would like the preselctor to "peak" more. It is
very broad in tuning.You almost need to look at the dial rather than hear
the peaking.

Curious as to any feedback and suggestion you get. Please post. Tnx
Tony
N2TK