[TowerTalk] Re: G-800

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: G-800
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:29:05 EST
In a message dated 99-02-28 20:13:42 EST, mholley@quik.com writes:

> This above para that I am confused about ,I have YAESU stand alone brochure
> which
>  I got just prior to the purchase of the G-800SDX (1994) which gives the
> following
>  data:-
>                            Power consumption :                   100VA
>                            450 deg rotation time :                 (S)55s
>  (SDX)43-93s)
>                            Rotation torque:                           600-
> 1100kg-cm
>  (43-79 ft lbs
>                            Stationary torque:                        4000
>  kg-cm        (288ft-lbs)
>                           Max. vertical load  :                      200
>  kg                (440 lbs)
>                           Max.ant. surface area :                   2 m sq.
>                           mast diameter:                               38-63
>  mm       (1 1/2-2 1/2 in.)
>  Do I assume that the "K" factor is a product of one or a number of the
above
>  specifications ?

Hi, Mike --

       My apologies. Apparently Yaesu did not institute the K Factor when you
bought your rotator. Like I said before, it has been a relatively recent
development.

     If you bought your rotator prior to introduction of the K Factor, then
I'd say you didn't have the benefit of current thinking and specs. If that's
the case, then I'd say that you got 5 years of service from your rotator and
then it bit the dust. I personally give rotators 6 years of service so while
it was unfortunate that yours failed, it was not unusual and, in fact, almost
normal.

     Do you have enough information now to make a decision on your next
rotator?

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC