[TowerTalk] Rotator and Antenna Standards

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator and Antenna Standards
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:18:54 -0500

> Therein the rub... I wonder if the science exists to really manufacture
> gears to destructive tolerances against absolute maximums, at least for
> the kind of money we are willing to spend.

The problem is the rating method. I can purchase a transmission,
and know full well in advance how many lb/ft of torque the
transmission will take in shock load and in steady load.You can
bet a mechanical engineer would have a good idea how much
torque would kill a gear box he designed.

All this rotor mubo-jumbo about sq ft is meaningless.

Even if the numbers aren't able to interface with antenna ratings, at
least we'd know how rotor A stacks up to rotor B.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com