[TowerTalk] Aluminum towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers
From: mlevine@compsol.net (Mark Levine, D.C.)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:47:55 -0500
Prior to buying my 45g, I made many inquiries. Not one of the installers
I contacted would have anything, what-so-ever, to do with the
installation of an aluminum tower. I have a Force 12 model 4BA ten feet
above the Force 12 model 420/240. While I do not recall the wind
at the base that I wanted nothing to do with it.  You can talk specs and
theory all you like, when someone as experienced as Matt Strelow KC1XX
says not to buy one, I listen. My 45g is only 70 feet with torsion bars
and 1/4" guys at 35 and 70 ft. My elevation is 800' a.s.e. and the winds
do blow here in NW CT. When I did my inquiries as to towers, the ONLY
people that gave favorable reports were the salespeople. I'm glad I
listened to Matt. BTW also none of this sinking a section into concrete
either. Each anchor point as well as the guys are in 3' x 3' x 4' 4000lb
(I think) concrete with the block under the tower reinforced with rebar
and supported by a pin.