[TowerTalk] Tower in center of 4square

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower in center of 4square
From: Dick Green" < (Dick Green)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:29:18 -0500
No personal experience, but the guy I got a used Colatchco 4-square phasing
switch from said his 40M 4-square stopped working when he installed 100' of
guyed Rohn 45 in the middle of the array (TH-7 and shorty forty on top of
the tower.) I assume this meant that the array was no longer directional. It
was a typical ground mounted 4-square with either 64 or 128 radials per
element and worked very well before the tower went in.

K4SQR, owner of Comtek advised me to put at least a 1/2 wavelength between
my 40M 4-square elements and any large vertical metal objects that might
detune them, like a tower. Obviously, the center of the square is less than
1/4 wavelength from each element, so it would seem that one could not put a
big tower there. However, at the same time we discussed various designs for
tower-supported verical wire 4-square arrays for 80M and 160M. There
certainly are a number of people out there with such configurations, and
they work. Why, I don't know. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

73, Dick, WC1M