[TowerTalk] Acuity

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Acuity
From: (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:01:14 EST
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:
if sending attachments:

        I had a client who took a whole new approach to the visibility of
towers issue.  Unfortunately, he recently died -- of reasons unrelated to
the stress of applying for a tower (which I secured).  We never had to
fight the fight for which we were preparing, so I never got my hands on

To: <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:00:15 +0000
Subject: Guy Wires

Dear Fred, 3/16 diameter guy wires become invisible at 54
feet (53.6 ft).   "Principles of Television
Engineering", D.G. Fink, McGraw-Hill, 1940, p. 32.

Apparently this book has a formula in it which discusses acuity of the
human eye. Does anyone here have the book? Or a similar formula?  This
doesn't help when you neighbor gets upset, but it does help when someone
says:  "I'll be able to see it from clear across the bay."

I suspect that anyone who works on TV, computer monitors, or who is an
optometrist or opthalmologist, might be able to contribute to the
question:  At what distance does a thin object disappear to the human

-- Fred K1VR

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]