[TowerTalk] GME Roof Towers`

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GME Roof Towers`
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:06:25 EST
In a message dated 99-03-19 09:35:12 EST, k0wa@southwind.net writes:

> I am responding to the the thread of "25g Roof Tower"   K7LXC responded
>  below.  I have seen the GME roof towers at Dayton and was quite impressed
>  with them.  I would like to hear more from someone who owns one of these
>  things as to how it is holding up.  Do you climb it to put on the beams?
>  What are the "ins and outs" of the roof towers?

     I've installed a half a dozen of the GME 9-footers and they are very
worthwhile. GME suggests bolting it down with lag screws into the roof
trusses; I've never used this method. I use a backing plate of 2x4's inside
the attic and a chunk of 1/2 inch all-thread to connect everything. Use some
big washers and the installation should be pretty bombproof. Be sure to use
roofing tar or RTV liberally to prevent water getting in.

     Yes, you climb the tower - it's robust and is confidence instilling. If
you can't put up a ground mounted tower or you want something quick and simple
- a roof mounted tower works great.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com