[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Galvanized hardware questions

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanized hardware questions
From: (Patrick Barkey)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:42:30 -0500
I have quite a few straight sections of tubular tower (made by an
obscure manufacturer who has long been out of business) that
I want to put up this year as a guyed tower.  I am lacking the
bolts for the joints.

I am interested in using galvanized hardware, as Rohn does, because
it doesn't require lockwashers and seems in general to be pretty
impervious to vibration.

I have two, related questions for this group.

First, does anyone have any favorite sources for galvanized
Specifically what I need are 0.5 x 2.5 inch bolts, any thread
I know about Rohn and McMaster-Carr.  Others?

My second question has to do with the necessary strength of the
The tower will be 160', guyed four times.  The legs are similar to 2
schedule 40 water pipe, and the tower has a 24 inch face.  There are
two bolts per leg, like Rohn 45, with each section being 10 feet
The tower terminates with a oversized sleeve that slips over the
section below, just like Rohn 45-ish tower.

McMaster-Carr does have grade 2 galvanized bolts in their catalog.
Tensile strength is listed as 74,000 psi.

I realize that this is not ideal, and that something like grade 5
be better.  But the half inch bolt is also quite a bit bigger than
other tower joint bolts I see.

Can I get the grade 2 bolts, or should I keep looking?  I assume
the only concern is having the bolts shear.  Compression failure
doesn't seem like a problem, given the joint overlap.

   - Pat

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>