[TowerTalk] GME roof mounted towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GME roof mounted towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:23:09 EST
Greetings, TowerTalkians --

      There was a recent thread about Glenn Martin Engineering roof towers.
They work pretty well and I recommend them.

      A comment was made that said that the manufacturer said not to climb
them. Well, it makes it pretty difficult to install everything if you don't.
Here's what the owner's manual says under the Safety Rules section:

"3. Never climb the tower. Serious injury could result from a fall. This is
even more dangerous when you are on a roof top."

     This addresses the manufacturer's risk exposure to injuries and lawsuits
from people falling off of the tower. This is sometimes called a 'weasel
clause' since it can allow them to possibly 'weasel' out of some
responsibility. This has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the
tower.

     I climb them all the time and have no compunction about it. Look at it
like this - would you trust a tower to support your antennas safely if it
wasn't safe enough to climb?

     All manufacturers have the same guidelines - the antenna manufacturers
have those yellow "You may be killed.." stickers on them and everything comes
with some sort of installation and safety instructions.

     In all tower and antenna related activities - BE CAREFUL.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC