[TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Second radio tri-band antenna options?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Second radio tri-band antenna options?
From: tom.georgens@lsil.com (Georgens, Tom)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:21:18 -0500
Dan -

For years I used a setup similar to yours.  I had three tribanders, a 402CD,
and 4 wires for 80 and 160 all on a single 90 foot tower.  I built a 2X8
remote coax box which was installed on the tower and could switch any of the
eight antennas to either of two feedlines.  In the shack I simply had two
rows of eight toggle switches to control the relays.  There was a simple
lockout to prevent the same antenna on both feedlines and I could switch
multiple antennas to a single feedline for Upper/Lower/Both style
functionality.

The one wrinkle was that I had a 2x2 relay switch in the shack which could
switch either feedline to either radio/amp pair.  This was used in
conjunction with yet another toggle switch next to my two rows of eight.
The purpose of this switch (I called it SWAP) was to automatically switch
feedlines so I could work the multiplier with the good antennas once I found
it.  For example, when running on 20 I would listen on 15 or 10 on which
ever of the other antennas I could hear best.  Sometimes, it was even a
short beverage.  When a new mult was found, all of my key/mic switching was
controlled by the ALT-. function in CT which would also toggle the feedlines
if the SWAP switch was on.  This way I could have some hope of actually
working the mult if there was a pileup.  In the case of non-overlapping band
(20 and 40) I would have the SWAP off and I would stay on the 402CD for
working the mult.

I don't suggest for a second that this is as effective as separate
monobanders,  but I could generally hear as well on at least one other
antenna as I could with a low dipole or vertical and it was much easier to
work multipliers if I could use my best antennas.

Of course all of this can be done manually at time of switching to the
second radio but I do not recommend it.  The more things that you have to do
to switch radios the more likely it is that you will forget one and the less
likely that you will actually use the second radio.  Alt-. was about my
limit.

On a slightly related subject, if you are going to do two radios be sure to
measure the returned RF power on for every combination of transmit and
receive antennas.  A 402CD will return serious power when a TH7 10 feet
below is transmitting on 15.

Hope this helps

73, Tom W2SC