[TowerTalk] More on Winches

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More on Winches
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:04:11 -0400

The winch that XXTowers was using had a cyclindrical shaft that was fatter
on the ends than it was in the middle.  Matt wrapped 3 turns of the rope
around the shaft and with very little pull on the rope (I mean a fingers
pull) he could raise a 250lb 40 meter yagi.  Letting lose of the rope just
a little would hold it in it's position.  This seemed to me to be an
excellent way to do it since Matt could stand away from the base of the
tower while he controlled the antenna as it went up.

Hope this helps explain what I'm looking for now.

Thanks to the few of you with the excellent WENCH messages.  I was laughing
out loud.

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)