[TowerTalk] shunt feeding towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] shunt feeding towers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:25:24 -0400
From:                   "Tony Kazmakites" <n2tk@idsi.net>
To:                     "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date sent:              Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:17:57 -0400

> Has anyone tried shunt feeding by running the shunt wire up the  center of
> Rohn 45 instead of the more common way on the outside of the tower?

I have with Rohn 25 and Rohn 65.

> If this would work it would allow me to side mount some beams. I am
> presently shunt feeding 80' of Rohn 45 for 160m. My feed point is 15'
> above ground. I have 24' of mast sticking out the top of the tower with a
> 402cd at 104'. This seems to load quite well with a series vacuum variable
> at the feedpoint.

I was never successful feeding a wire up the tower center. I'm
pretty sure Mr. Faraday's rules about electric fields inside closed
cylinders had something to do with my lack of success, although I
never looked at it in great detail.

Those old guys (Faraday, Maxwell, Ohm, Kirchoff etc) sure ruined
a lot of my creative antenna ideas.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com