[TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX boom question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX boom question
From: al.jaras@meriden.k12.ct.us (NA1I)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:00:59 -0400
HELLO ALL:
The advice that Steve K7LXC gives is often quite sound and on the money.
I've had a HDBX 48' up for about 9 years with a TH7 on top. I traded the
TH7 in for a Force 12 C3E it's less then half the weight and certainly
surpases the TH7 in performance. I have had no problems with this beam
or any other cracks in the rotor plate yet... I do have one of my
friends climb the tower periodically for a look see... all is great
shape so far..

de  Al / NA1I

Dave Jordan wrote:

> When we used the HDBX we used to run black pipe all the way to the pad and
> mount
> the rotor on a short pipe just above the pad...that way much of the
> twist force is taken off the tower and all it has to do is hold up the pipe.
> Never
> had any problems with loose revits, etc. when we used that type installation
> and we put some pretty big beams on them...
>
> HAVE FUN,
> dave
>
> ======
>
> K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 99-04-14 19:21:10 EDT, jfleming@shelbynet.net writes:
> >
> > > I was surprised to read that the Rohn self-supporting HDBX40 and 48 will
> > >  support 18 sq ft, but only a 10 ft boom.  Am I missing something?  Not
> > >  much with a 10 ft boom...  ??  Seems like even a "little" beam would be
> > >  more than that.
> >
> >       Well, and you'd be right. Rohn BX is basically TV tower and has very
> > little torsional resistance (it's for TV antennas, remember?). Anyway,
> > bigger
> > antennas will eventually beat up the tower resulting in the rotator plate
> > breaking as well as cross braces popping off.
> >
> >      And they're real meat grinders when you have to work on them. Be real
> > careful if you want to install one.
> >
> > Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
> >
> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
> > Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
>
> --

THOSE THAT CAN, DX ! THOSE THAT CAN'T, DX ON NETS !