[TowerTalk] Tower base drainage problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower base drainage problem
From: n0ss@socket.net (Tom Hammond)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:01:53 -0500
K9RB wrote:

>If this is unsuccessful another alternative is to drill a couple of
>5/32"-3/16" drain holes in each affected leg, as close to the concrete as
>you can get, and check that these holes remain open every couple of weeks by
>inserting something into these holes and/or observing actual drainage. (They
>WILL periodically plug up, and you'll not want to ever let this happen,
>especially when subjected to freezing temps.)

If you follow this suggestion, which isn't all that bad, consider
'filling' the hole with NYLON CORD.  Put about 1" of cord halfway
thru the hole (actually, put HALF of the cord thru the hole), and
this way, any accumulated water can 'wick' out, but dirt, and critters
can't get into the leg.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS