[TowerTalk] R7(000) v.s. Mobile Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] R7(000) v.s. Mobile Antenna
From: w4zw@home.com (W4ZW@home.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:05:36 -0400
Rich,

I have both.  I have also had in the past, Butternut, Hygains, Homebrews,
and just now the R-7, DX-77, and the Screwdriver. I also have a variety of
yagi's to compare against.

I have had excellent results with both the R-7 and the DX-77, but only when
I get them elevated, usually about 33' or more. I would strongly recommend
the R-7.  I've seen them at hamfests for $100-200 and they are better
antennas than the R-7000 based on my observations and discussions with other
guys.  The R-7000 seems to be plagued with power problems and niggling trap
problems.  The Screwdriver also works great, especially on 30M up.  On 40
it's OK and on 80 not so hot.  The R-7 and the DX-77 work very well indeed
on 40, but have no capability for 80M.  It's the best mobile antenna I've
ever used and the added flexibility of tuning it to 1:1 on any freq is
great, but it does not compare to a full sized 3/8 vertical like the R-7 or
a 1/2WL design like the DX-77.

The Hy-gain DX-77 is also a great antenna with more bandwidth than the R-7
on 20 and 40 and it has a tilt-over base which is great for adjusting it. If
you are interested, I have an extra DX-77, new in the sealed box from Hygain
I'll sell for $250 shipped to you.  I bought three of them, one for Field
Day use and the other for my Colorado QTH, with the third for my boat dock.
I've decided to install a Shakespeare marine vertical on my boat so I have
an extra one.  I chose the DX-77 this time for the better  bandwidth.  I
paid $320 each for the DX-77's.

Good luck,

Jon, W4ZW