[TowerTalk] Pipe VS Tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pipe VS Tubing
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:48:05 +0008

Hi all,

> My Question is this.  I had plan on using 2", 1/4" wall Black pipe for
> the mast on my M2 3 ele 40 mtr yagi.  Is this a definite NO NO ?  As
> usual, any and all suggestion are appreciated.

A really important question to be considered in this oft-repeated
thread is "how far above the support of the tower will the
antenna(s)  be mounted?"  It the mast is only sticking out 1/4
inch, then almost anything will do (manicotti?).  If you're tempted
to use the mast to get more height, or you plan to stack antennas,
you'd better get steel tubing that's up to the task!  (Get the easy-
to-use MARC program from Champion Radio Products to calculate what
you need.)

If you do it right, you won't have to redo it, and, as they say,
you'll "sleep at night."

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT