[TowerTalk] Re: Guying question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Guying question
From: froberts@pe.net (Fred Roberts)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:33:32 -0700
Boy, it sure doesn't take much to get a thread going, does it?

Brings to mind a "Los Angeles commuting discussion" we had on the local
repeater several years ago.  Seems I said something like, "I am going
about 63 mph."  The fellow I was addressing was an Editor for the Los
Angeles Times, and he said, "You should have said, 'I am going 63 mph'.
If you want to use "about', then you should say. "I am going about 60
mph."
And, of course, I responded in support of my original statement being
correct.

Well, this discussion lasted for the entire rush hour commute which was
about an hour and a half.  Its primary value was that it allowed us to
avoid thinking about all of the traffic in which we were both immersed.

But speaking of a "thread" ... the next evening when I got in my car to
go home, I turned the 2M rig on and the first words I heard were, "Well
if you use 'about' it means ....."  Does that sound like a thread to
you?  It sure does to me.

I surely thought all the TV ads expressing the thought "Wider is better"
said it all.

73-
Fred Roberts, W6TKV
Threadless in Riverside