[TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:15:28 -0700
David and Steve,

If I recall my statics from college correctly, the deflection for a given
applied load will
be different if the Young's modulus of the two materials is different.  A tower
can be thought
of as being analagous to a cantilever beam suspended between two springs that
are
pre-tensioned. When a side load comes along from the direction of one of the
guys, the
tension in that guy increases while the tension in the opposing guy decreases.
If the
stress/strain relationship in the two guys is
linear, then the increase in force on the windward guy will equal then decrease
in
force on the leeward guy. There will be an accompanying deflection proportional
the Young's modulus of the guy material. In practice, as long guy deflections
are small
in comparison to the allowable tower deflections, then as Steve points out they
are of
little practical consequence. All of the guyed towers that I have climbed (both
EHS and
Philly) are stable as a rock. I would guess allowable deflections are at least
an order of
magnitude below safe limits, perhaps much more (Rohn 25 is rate at 6700 ft*lbs
of
overturning moment). Interesting mental exercise though.

Does anyone know if preload specs are driven mainly by side load deflection
limits
or torsional deflection limits?