[TowerTalk] Navaho Vario Climbing belt

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Navaho Vario Climbing belt
From: Michael Little" <kb4kkl@worldnet.att.net (Michael Little)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 11:41:59 -0500
Steve wrote:

>    This is not a fall arrest harness and the front D-ring is used for
positioning - not used for fall arrest.

>    The problem is that if you were fall with a fall arrest lanyard
attached to the front D-ring, you would be caught with your body position
horizontally facing up which would cause probable damage to your spine. A
fall arrest harness has the fall arrest D-ring between your shoulder blades
which will catch you in a slumped over and more natural, safer position.
<

    Well now I stand corrected. I believe the only true "fall arrest
harnesses" are the full upper body type that you mentioned. The fellow I had
talked to at PMI told me the same thing. I believe some folks (myself
included)are using these work positioning, sit type harnesses with a double
lanyard + energy absorber (like the Zyper)attached to the front ring for
fall arrest. The issue of body position with this arrangement, as you're
caught from a fall, is a major concern. The fall is supposed to be cushioned
and limited in distance by the Zyper (6 ft to energy absorbed impact if you
fell from 3 ft above your lower attachment point) but still the body
position isn't good and I'm sure it wouldn't take much of a jolt to suffer
spine damage. Anyway - "up the tower" is no place to find out things the
hard way.  I for one will certainly re-evaluate and more than likely I'll go
to a "true" fall arrest harness.

73,
Mike KB4KKL