[TowerTalk] Boom caps. Are they needed?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boom caps. Are they needed?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 20:07:13 EDT
In a message dated 99-05-03 19:33:42 EDT, GIG38 writes:

> I am not an antenna designer but my assumptions in favor of using boom caps
> are:
>
>  1.  Prevents mositure from accumulating in the boom

     Not exactly. The moisture is from condensation so it'll get in but can't
get out. Weep holes in the boom caps is recommended.

>  2.  Prevents wasps, hornets and yellow jackets from building nests and
> taking up residency in your antenna boom.

      Good point. That's a good reason.

>  From my prior climbing days and personal experience I can assure you
colony
> of wasps, hornets or yellow jackets are not a pleasure to meet when you are
> on the ground much less strapped to a tower - regardless of height.  I have
> felt the stings and they can sting faster than an human can unbuckle and
> safely get to the ground.

     An aside: if you are stung by a wasp, hornet, etc. (whether tower
climbing or whatever), some Adolph's Meat Tendenizer applied directly to the
bite will take the pain away in a minute. I carry some in my tower climbing
first aid kit.

>  For what they cost and what,  no more than a minute or two,  to install
why
> would you take the chance of NOT using them?

      Fair enough. Be sure to put weep holes in them.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech