[TowerTalk] Beating a dead horse (or rugs?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beating a dead horse (or rugs?)
From: k9rb@worldnet.att.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 20:47:27 -0400
snip;

Guy Olinger wrote;

Kind of beating a dead horse here, I think. Just having two or three
radiators in the air certainly doesn't guarantee behaviour like a
yagi, even if it looks like one. If it has traps and all that can
happen to them, there certainly are any number of problems that can
render a "beam" very unyagi-like, without the need to melt down and
set fire to the traps.

I heard a story about a site that got some of those super-cheap Gotham
two element beams (remember those?), one each for 20, 15 & 10. Whoever
was responsible for putting the beams together got pieces mixed up.
Well, they *looked* like yagis...

snip.

If I remember correctly, the Gotham beams did not use traps, but were
constructed wholly of thinwall steel tubing, similar to galvanized
electrical conduit, and had large, formed wire contraptions resembling old
rug beaters on the ends of the elements for additional capacity loading to
compensate for the short element lengths. If that was the case, there was
nothing to get mixed up....maybe it was a triband version?
 -=Rog-K9RB=-