I: [TowerTalk] LMR-400&LMR200 PL259 PLUGS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: I: [TowerTalk] LMR-400&LMR200 PL259 PLUGS
From: DavisRFinc@aol.com (DavisRFinc@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:16:14 EDT
Hi Ian, Glad to help.  I'll respond in specific to you on your email but for
the benefit of anyone else in the group:  Most situations I have seen, the 23
cents extra (at our pricing) for LMR 400 Ultra Flex is not worth it.  the
rated bend radius on UFlex is the same: 1" (again, inflate about double to be
careful), the loss difference is negligibe until you get up at 1 gig or more,
then it's a matter of length and power needed.

The "Davis RF Flexometer" test says:  take 2 ft of "Bury-Flex" Reg Tm of
Davis RF, 2 ft of LMR 400 and 2 ft of LMR 400UF, grasp all 3 in one hand at
their midpoint, take your other hand and grab one at a time at the end, flex
it back and forth a good 8" or more.  You will probably agree that LMR 400 UF
is about 25-30% more flexible (real scientific here!!), than Bury-Flex which
is about that more flexible than LMR 400.
 Bury Flex is thebest truly buriable and it will work around rotators, give
it about 30% more loop than the UFlex (LMR 400 is buriable, UFlex is not, in
my opinion).  Save about 19 cents per foot  by using Bury Flex vs UFlex.
Save about 4 cents per foot vs. B Flex by using LMR 400 in the station and
out to tower top but use UFlex or Bury-Flex around the rotator (I'd use 400
UFlex).  At HF-UHF you'll never "feel" the iota of insertion loss of the
conneciion of the two.  List on LMR 400 is .64/ft, we sell it to hams same
price as commercial:  .53;
 400 UlFlex is .98 list, yours: .76 and BFlex is yours: about .57 depending
on length.  LMR's any length.  We  discount the  LMR connectors too but as I
mentioined in last, use std UHF's on 400, voids cable warranty but haven't
seen an issue yet on that.
If you want to check out these flexibilities, stop by Press's WireMan booth
at Dayton, or RadioWare/Radio Bookstore; or Radio Works; Memphis Amateur, etc.
DAVIS RF Co., commercial wire and cable, custom cable design.  Discounts to
hams.  Heliax, LMR, RFS, Belden, Poly Phaser Lightning Protection Devices.
Various aerial wiring; transmission lines, insulators, baluns, RF connectors
and Dacron rope.  www.davisRF.com .  1-800-328-4773, (For all RF hardline
related items, please ask for Steve Davis)   Thank you!
"The Triad":  Davis RF Co.; Orion Wire Corp.; and The Wire Man, Inc.:
Variegated expertise; resources and buying power yielding numerous quality
products at highly competitive pricing.

In a message dated 5/10/99 4:21:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, glcazzola@iol.it