[TowerTalk] How to handle water in tower base hole

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to handle water in tower base hole
From: (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 19:31:52 -0400
Aware of the caveats proposed regarding digging your own base hole, last
Thursday I rented a Terramite and "practiced" a little.  I needed to
remove a stump and haul some gravel, so I figured I could do these jobs
and then experiment a little for base digging, i.e. what is the soil
like and how good a cube could I dig.

To-be-encountered boulders aside, my main question at this time relates
to WATER.  Regardless of where I dig, it looks like I will encounter
water within a few feet.  How to handle this?  I ate up most of the
limited time I took on the rented Terramite doing my other chores, so
didn't get to play with the "test hole" much at all, ie didn't see if it
would clear reasonably with a sump pump etc.  I know I can pour concrete
through water, but I seem to recall comments here against that.

Any solutions?  Seems like anyone in the midwest planning a decent hole
would encounter some water...  I know I need gravel in the bottom for
drainage, but how is it gonna drain if the water table's at the 3 ft
level?  Please reply directly via email or guestbook link below.
WA9ALS - John
Tower Project Guestbook
Amateur Homepage