[TowerTalk] Isolating bad trap

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Isolating bad trap
From: jsschuster@snet.net (Jack Schuster)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 08:23:41 -0400
In determining which trap was bad on HyGain antennas, I found I could
compare the inductance of the traps on opposite sides of the boom as
measured with my Autek RF1.I could clip onto the trap cover and the
element without disassembling the trap, and get amazing correlation in
measurements. If the inductance wasn't the same in both,   I opened
traps and inspected them and found the problem. Of course this is
easiest when the antenna is on the ground, but it can be done by taking
pairs of elements down, or  bringing the Autek up the tower.  JACK W1WEF