[TowerTalk] Helical resonators, Q, and measurements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Helical resonators, Q, and measurements
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:51:30 -0400
Hey GW, sorry I deleted your post and can't recopy.

I'd like to point something else out. Narrow bandwidth does not
necessarily indicate low loss. While we often think that is true,
more often than not the two are unrelated parameters.

I can give a specific example. A loaded antenna with substantial
capacitance shunting the loading inductor compared to one with
minimal capacitance shunting the inductor. The reactance change
with a given frequency change of the inductor / shunt capacitor
combo is much higher than the reactance change of a pure
inductance EVEN if loss is higher in the narrow-band loading
system!

The most efficient mobile antennas I have for either 160 and 40
meters are also the broadest bandwidth mobile antennas I have!

The real world screws up textbook measurements all the time,
that's why critical measurements should ALWAYS be measured
with multiple validation using the most direct methods possible. If
you want to know field strength in the main lobe compared to field
strength in another main lobe, measure it there at least two totally
different ways. Don't throw needless extra variables into the
equation.

Measure what you want to know, not something else far down the
food chain.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com