[TowerTalk] SWR problem with A4S

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR problem with A4S
From: (
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:26:04 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-22 21:27:35 EDT, writes:

> I have a problem with my Cushcraft A4S again. It started out as a SWR
>  problem on 20 and 40. Anything over a 100 watts and the SWR would jump
>  from flat to 3 or 4 to 1 and back down and back up, on and on. I thought
>  it was a problem with a 20 meter trap. Now I have problems with 40, 20
>  and 10 meters, it does the same thing on all 3 bands now. 15 meters works
>  fine and I can run 1000 watts with no problems. I use a Radio Works
>  balun, have never had one of them go bad?
>  Any ideas from the group as to what may be going on?

      Have you put an antenna analyzer directly on the feedpoint? Are you
using a balun or rf choke coil of coax? Does it do this when the wx is dry,
wet or both? What is between the radio and the antenna? I suspect the antenna
more than the feedline since it does work on one band.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC