[TowerTalk] GAP Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GAP Verticals
From: rodbrink@montereybay.com (Rod Brink)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:44:33 -0700
Does anyone understand how the GAP verticals work?  I've got a GAP Titan and
I think I understand how the phasing rods bring it into resonance for each
of the bands. But their so-called "counterpoise" has me really buffaloed.  I
don't believe it functions as a counterpoise in the traditional sense
because in the first place the antenna operates as a vertical dipole, and
secondly it isn't connected electrically as a counterpoise.  Instead it
seems to be a capacitive load for 40M and 10M.  This because when you remove
it, the SWR remains almost the same for all bands except 40M and 10M.

Nobody at the factory seems willing to divulge their "secrets"..

73, Rod