[TowerTalk] ANTENNA MEASUREMENT DISCUSSION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA MEASUREMENT DISCUSSION
From: km6iu@jps.net (Larry L Moore)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:43:19 -0700

--------------08A83C08166396A5454DD517

Several people have tired of the Measurement discussions and think it
should be tied up. I appreciate all of the inputs and have found them to
be educational [for the most part ]. I thank everyone for not letting it
be a discussion of individual antenna companies [and products ] and/or
people since that was never the intent.
The main value of the thread has been to spur interest in making better
antennas and measurements - and to see if we could understand what had
been measured. As much as we all would like to validate HF antenna
measurements made  close to ground and at zero elevation the vast
majority of experence and opinion is " in our dreams". Two or three
people have the opinion that you can do these tests ["comparison" using
a single test fixture] and obtain reasonable results. This opinion
requires one to accept the "fact" that all antennas have an identical
pattern and are impacted in identical ways by the test site environment.
There appears to be little to support this " fact " other than personal
opinion of a small minority.
My personal opinion is that the antennas tested may well be "ranked"
properly but is is not likely that the test data can be used to
determine that. I think we all owe the guys who did the testing a big
thanks.  They have raised the visibility of the need and may well spur
progress in this area - if they have not already. In the meantime I
guess antenna testing will envolve mounting two antennas at the same
height and fairly close together and saying " this is antenna one - this
is antenna two etc .           Thanks TT 'ers
Larry

--------------08A83C08166396A5454DD517

and think it should be tied up. I appreciate all of the inputs and have
found them to be educational [for the most part ]. I thank everyone for
not letting it be a discussion of individual antenna companies [and products
] and/or people since that was never the intent.</font>
in making better antennas and measurements - and to see if we could understand
what had been measured. As much as we all would like to validate HF antenna
measurements made&nbsp; close to ground and at zero elevation the vast
majority of experence and opinion is " in our dreams". Two or three people
have the opinion that you can do these tests ["comparison" using a single
test fixture] and obtain reasonable results. This opinion requires one
to accept the "fact" that all antennas have an identical pattern and are
impacted in identical ways by the test site environment. There appears
to be little to support this " fact " other than personal opinion of a
small minority.</font>
be "ranked" properly but is is not likely that the test data can be used
to determine that. I think we all owe the guys who did the testing a big
thanks.&nbsp; They have raised the visibility of the need and may well
spur progress in this area - if they have not already. In the meantime
I guess antenna testing will envolve mounting two antennas at the same
height and fairly close together and saying " this is antenna one - this
is antenna two etc .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thanks TT 'ers</font>

--------------08A83C08166396A5454DD517--