[TowerTalk] Summary: Small Tribanders

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Summary: Small Tribanders
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:03:55 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.

Those who responded were overwhelmingly in favor of the C3.

Of the 16 responses I received, 9 favored the C3, 3 favored the KT-34A, 1
favored the A-3 (not on my list), 1 favored the Tennadyne T-6 (not on my
list), and 1 favored the Sommer XP 400/500 (not on my list and never heard
of it.) I also got one negative vote on the TH-3. I got a couple of
favorable reviews of the military mast (one person had a TH-7 on it and one
had a TH-6 on it -- should be no problem for the beams I'm considering.)

The C3 certainly makes the most sense. The 2 elements on 20 and 15 gave me
pause at first, but the boom length suggests I will be satisfied with the
gain and a broader pattern and lower F/B should be better for 2nd radio S&P
in contests. One person said that previous TT posts suggest that performance
on 15 and 10 is poor. I don't see much evidence of that in the K7LXC/N0AX
report. Any confirmation on that? Also, several pointed out that there is
now a C3E with four elements on 10M. There's nothing about that on the web
site. Can someone send me details on boom length, weight, windload and cost?

Also, the report says the C3's VSWR bandwidth is only 100KHz on 15M. What's
the experience out there?

73, Dick WC1M