[TowerTalk] Wilson Systems MT-61B

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wilson Systems MT-61B
From: richard@prolynx.com (Richard Williams)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:55:51 -0600
Hans,

I have a Wilson MT-61 tower that I bought  back in 1977 or so.  It.s not
quite the original one as I used it to turn a Hygain 205BA stacked with a
Hygain 402BA when I lived in Calif.   Unfortunately, it was "slightly"
overloaded and during a wind storm the top two pieces bent.   This was in
the early 80's and Wilson was out of business.   I found out that the US
tower 550 is/was the same basic tower.  I drove down to Visalia and picked
up the top two sections.

No tricks that I can remember when I took the thing apart and put in the new
sections.  Restring it the same way you take it apart.   The only difference
was the old Wilson used tubular for all three sections, but but the US Tower
model uses a square section for the top.  This was not a problem since I
needed the top two sections.

I am still using the original cable that came with the tower.   Now just use
it for a Force 12 810 (8 ele 10 mtr beam).

I am also using the rotating base; but have always used a tailtwister to
turn.  I don't know why a Ham II or III wouldn't work.    Even if you strip
it out, it is pretty easy to replace!!!    As far as the cable, you should
be able to buy that about anywhere that sells aircraft cable.   Not sure,
but I think Eagle hardware sells that stuff.

I have been real happy with the tower (as long as you don't overload it).
Should handle a small tri bander.  At my qth we have winds in excess of
60mph and I have had no problems with it.

Good luck

Dick Wiliams  K8ZTT
Franktown, CO