[TowerTalk] Need suggestions - temporary support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need suggestions - temporary support
From: RDTALBERT@aol.com (RDTALBERT@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:51:01 EDT
      A friend and I are planning to activate South Padre Island, TX (NA092)
for the IOTA contest later in the month.

      I have purchased a light weight 2 element delta loop antenna to serve
on 20 thru 10 meters.

      My first thought was that I would purchase a Rohn H70 telescoping mast
and use the lower 25 to 30 feet to support this antenna during the contest
and later use the full length at my QTH as part of a 160 meter antenna.  The
leading Texas supplier of amateur radio equipment has told me that they no
longer ship telescoping masts by common carrier because they are almost
invariably damaged.  I contacted Rohn for local sources (the above mentioned
supplier is some 550 miles distant) and was advised that there were two local
dealers/distributors who might be of help (both commercial types).

      One supplier told me that they did not order or stock the H70 mast and
when asked if they would order one I was flatly told "NO".

      The other took my information (what I wanted, my name, phone number,
etc.), basically told me that he would advise, and I have not as yet been
"advised" (it's been about two weeks).

      I explored ordering a mast from the Midwest and there were distributors
there willing to ship one to South Texas, but freight charges were to be more
than the cost of the mast ($300 seems plenty to pay for a "push-up pole").

      Can anyone suggest, please, a temporary support that meets the
following criteria:

        1) Reasonable cost
        2) Must be able to transport in/on a Chevy Suburban (safely)
        3) Must be able to support 27-30 pounds at 20-30 feet for 24-48 hours
(light wind loading)
        4) Quick and easy assembly and erection
        5) Will be limited to a 2 man "crew"
        6) Rope guys are OK if manageable by two persons

      Have I asked the Impossible?  Any and all helpful suggestions are
welcome and will be much appreciated.

Thanks and 73,

Roy   K9ER
Mission, TX