[TowerTalk] Stack optimization

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stack optimization
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:34:15 +0100
It's fairly well known, I think, that certain "magic" stacking distances
yield particularly good results, like 50/100 ft. for 20m. yagis, for
example.  But one of the frustrations of stacking tribanders is the need to
choose a compromise spacing -- one that probably is not optimum on any
particular band.  28-32 feet seems to be commonly used in this case for a
2-high stack.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a 3-high tribander stack with the 3
bays spaced differently from one another -- for example, at 25, 50 and 100
ft. above ground -- in an effort to produce better pattern on more bands?
By "tried", I mean modeled or real life.  I'm happy to spend some time
iterating this problem, but I don't have AO, so it would be helpful to have
some ideas of what *doesn't* work before I start.

In a similar vein, loss of F/B ratio in a stack (as compared with a single
yagi) is a well-known phenomenon.  It seems logical that a yagi that has
good F/B alone might not be optimally set up for F/B when used in a stack.
Are there any general rules of thumb for how yagis tend to "need" to be
adjusted when placed in 2 or 3-high stacks?

A final question -- is anyone aware of any effort afoot to bring K6STI's
software back to market, under the same or different ownership?  When I get
into things like this I really wish EZNEC had an optimizer!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower