[TowerTalk] Support for Wilson/USA rotatables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Support for Wilson/USA rotatables
From: w9ol@dataflo.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:59:45 -0500
As a couple of people asked how I did this, I'll put it on the reflector.
I have a Wilson rotatable, three section tower. Rotor at the base.

My tower is right next to my house chimney. I built the house and the
chimney. (I was a mason contractor).
At the time I built the brickwork for the chimney I put two large anchor
bolts in the masonry.
When I put up the tower I wanted to support it at the top of the first
section. I thought about it for a long time and finally came up with this
idea when I saw the local garbage men about to throw one of those mini spare
tires
into the truck.
I asked them if I could have it.
Took the tire off and the rim was just about perfect size.
What I did was torch out the center to fit the circumference of the first
section. Torched a notch to go over the pulley assembly that protrude out so
far.
I welded it to that top of the first section.
Then from a plumbing supply house I purchased a "pipe support". This is a
very heavy bar stock type clamp that looks like two Omega symbols which have
big bolts through the ears.
I placed it around the inside of the rim, tightened the bolts for a loose
fit and then welded tube stock from the ears on the side of the clamp next
to the house to the bolts in the chimney. Actually it's a rectangular frame
with a diagonal brace.
This holds the tower at the top of the first section very securely while
still allowing full rotation.
I also did this for my friend who has a similar tower but his is in the
middle of his property.
What I did on his was weld a bracket to the clamps that has holes to accept
guy wires.
We did three guy wires but you could put four just as easy.
On both his and mine we dropped bearings between the clamp and rim and
adjusted for a loose fit.
Each year I put a bit of bearing grease on them with a small stick and it's
worked great for years.
Really makes it more stable and if you take those bolts off the pipe clamp
you can still use the raising structure to lower the tower to the ground.

Did I explain this well enough?

Bill

come and visit
http://www.dataflo.net/~w9ol