Fw: [TowerTalk] Dipole Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [TowerTalk] Dipole Question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:03:41 +0100
At 10:19 PM 7/19/99 -0600, Josh Logan wrote:

>>Hi Chuck
>>
>>I have a very good suggestion for you.
>>Do a lazy V.
>>Do you like DX ??-
>>IS your antenna the 125 foot model??
>>
>>You need about 90 foot support.
>>instead of sloping it at 45 degrees off tower to the ground
>>as in sloping half wave dipole
>>have a rope attached to center insulator
>>and have the lower half bend back to the tower.
>>Maybe 8 feet from tower at end
>>The pattern will be strongest in direction of the POINT. ( feed point)

I agree -- the lazy-V is a great antenna.  Only rub is that you need quite
a lot of space, because the other end of the "pull-out" rope attached to
the center insulator needs to be a LONG way from the base of the tower, in
order to have reasonable tension on it and still have the antenna taut
enough on the bottom half (going back to the tower).  ~100 ft from the
tower base is close to minimum, and farther is better.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower