[TowerTalk] Use of Guy Brackets GA25GD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Use of Guy Brackets GA25GD
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:27:56 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-26 15:59:09 EDT, W4nf@aol.com writes:

> I had a question on the use of GA25GD Guy
>  Brackets.  How many of you use them, and for those that don't, have you
>  experienced any problems with running the Big Grip around the tower leg.
>  This approach is illustrated in the Rohn catalog that I have on the
>  Installation Details for Fold-Over Towers drawing.

      The reason for a cable-around-the-leg guy attachment is ONLY for the
fold-over towers because they need four-way guying and not the standard
three. The GA25G doesn't lend itself to 4-way guying.

     The recommended installation is with a guy assembly at each guy level.
They provide additional torque resistance that you don't get with the guy
attached to the leg.

> My tower will not be a
>  fold over but will be 75' of 25G which I intend to guy in three places
with
>  1/4" EHS.

      I don't know why you think you need 1/4" EHS; the factory spec calls
for 3/16" at all heights and windspeeds. Tower strength is typically limited
by leg compression capacity, not guy wire strength.

     I won't discourage you from using the 1/4" but I would suggest not using
the 10% recommended guy tension since it may put too much preload on the legs.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products