[TowerTalk] 4130 mast corrision treatment?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4130 mast corrision treatment?
From: R.Gorski@Astronautics.com (Ronald Gorski)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:54:06 -0500
At 10:06 7/28/99 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 99-07-28 09:46:18 EDT, jackcolson@x-press.net writes:
>
>> I have been told totally opposite approaches for treating 4130 Chrome-
>>  moly mast material.  I'd like to learn what others have done.    So what
>>  is recommended ?
>
>      I'm not sure what you mean by "totally opposite approaches".
>
>      In general, some sort of protective coating will eliminate or retard
>oxidation. The best is hot-dipped galvanizing. If that's impractical, then
>using some sort of manually applied coating will work. This could be an
>industrial coating or marine paint.
>
>     I don't know what the rate of oxidation is on a piece of chromoly
steel,
>but even untreated it'd probably last for 50 years or more.
>
>Cheers,   Steve  K7LXC
>
>--If hot-dip galvanizing is not practical, an application of "cold
galvanizing" followed by some overcoat will totally protect the outside
surface. The "cold galvanizing" is 95% zinc together with a binder and is
spec'd to provide corrosion protection similar to hot-dip. The overcoat is
needed more as a mechanical protection to the "cold galvaning" coating. The
galvanizing compound is available in spray cans for larger hardware stores.
W.W. Grainger and K7LXC also ave the product. Only caution that I have is
SHAKE CAN VIGOROUSLY before using as the zinc tends to clog the nozzle.
Good luck, Ron N9AU

| Ronald Gorski                             |
| Astronautics Corporation of America       |
| P.O. Box 523                              |
| Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201-0523 USA       |
| Phone: (414) 671-5500                     |
| Email: R.Gorski@Astronautics.com          |