[TowerTalk] New tower-25G@53 ft.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New tower-25G@53 ft.
From: wa4dou@excite.com (wa4dou@excite.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:10:24 PDT
Hi Guys,
  I started digging the guy points manually because i wanted to use the
holes as forms and i asked around here and the concensus was that i should
dig them all the way to 4 ft. deep, even if i thought the amount of concrete
was overkill for a 53 ft. tower. OK, i rented a "terramite" and dug them and
i'm waiting on the concrete truck, on Saturday morning.
  Now i find myself thinking about grounding and breaking up the top guy
wires into non-resonant lengths. I wish i had the money and time and
inclination, i would build a "monument" worthy of leaving behind for future
generations to learn the meaning of "well built", "done right", and etc. I
don't. Therefore there will be no welded rebar nor extensive "cadwelded"
cage beneath the tower. I would love to have an "extensive" ground system
capable of withstanding a "super lightning stroke" of at least 300,000
amperes, or anything else that motor nature could dish out. It just isn't
going to happen. I'm inclined to leave the top guy wires intact and ground
each guy point with an 8 ft. ground rod(copperplated). Also 3 ground
rods(same) at the base of the tower, each spaced 4 ft. off its respective
tower leg. This should give at least 7 parallel paths for a stroke to be
dissapated.
  How much real pattern distortion or influence is there likely to be
because i didn't break up the top guys into non resonant lengths?
  There is a good chance i'll add many heavy radials at the base of the
tower in due time to make it worthy of shunt feeding on lower bands. This
should augment the d.c. ground system. I plan to attach those ground rods to
the tower with #2 stranded copper and will connect all 6 ground rods with
same.
  What do you all think? This thing is comming together and happening!!! I'm
excited! :o)
                  Thanks es 73 Roy WA4DOU(Elm City, N.C.)