[TowerTalk] HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH
From: wa3gin@erols.com (Dave Jordan)
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 08:04:47 -0400

Hi Folks,

Reading N4KG's response to Steve (TH11 and Shorty 40 , Revisited) got me
wondering about my own antenna plans for the farm...I have a couple of
100ft towers that I'd like to put up down south in the Northern Neck of
Virginia.  THe land is sandy lome on the edge of a very large creek of
tidal water from the Chesapeake.  The water is salty (brakish).  We've
done some excavating on the property and the land is pretty dry and
about 25ft above the creek water level. I presume the surface water is
somewhere below the 25ft level.  SO, I wonder are my towers sitting on a
big insulator made of sand -- if I should be adding the depth "to"  the
water in the creek to the effective height of my beams when considering
placement on the tower?  If the beams are installed 120ft above the sand
is it really more like 145ft+???

HAVE FUN,
Dave
WA3GIN